Sunday, May 12, 2024

Update May 2-12

We have had a BUSY couple of weeks! 

Last weekend, Joel had a track meet in Abbotsford. Since Chuck is out of town, Eric had to come along, but he ended up running in a fun run and getting a medal and bag of candy so he was pretty happy! Joel did very well at the meet, coming 10th in the 100m and 4th in long jump. Meanwhile Eric has also been doing Track Attack at school and enjoying that; though I think he is liking the field events better given his endurance has taken a bit of a hit. 

On Wednesday the 8th, Eric and I went to LifeLabs for bloodwork. It was the first time since his diagnosis that we did bloodwork in the community instead of having to go into the hospital, and it was easy peasy! The technician was wondering how he would be and if we needed to hold his arm. The poor kid has been poked so many times that he doesn't even blink! His bloodwork came back normal, thank heaven! On Tuesday and Wednesday Eric came home early from school with a headache, so it had me a bit worried, but he did seem to be fine once he got home. He also seemed to be a bit congested with a runny nose off and on this past week, but he got through it and we didn't end up in hospital! 

On Friday, a counsellor from the District, along with the school counsellor came to Eric's class (and the other 2/3 class) to talk to the kids about cancer. Eric had been on the receiving end of a couple of unkind comments from his classmates a couple of weeks ago. I discussed with the school and they suggested educating the kids would help them better understand what Eric has been through and also promote empathy. What I didn't realize was that it would make Eric feel so seen. I was very nervous about it, but in the end, really glad that they did it. We are so lucky to be part of such a caring and supportive school. 

Yesterday, was the big day with Balding for Dollars, and what a beautiful day it was! The boys ate their weight in snow cones, they played large versions of Yahtzee, Connect 4 and bean bag Tic Tac Toe. Eric got his face painted like Spike the Whitecaps Mascot who he met today, along with Anna, Elsa, Mirabelle, Spider-Man, Batman and a bunch of Star Wars characters. He also got to participate in a magic act with a real magician and hold a snake. Oh yeah, and I got a big haircut! I love that I was not only able to fundraise for Balding for Dollars who have supported us so much over the last 1.5 years - huge THANK YOU to everyone who donated! - but also to donate my hair to Wigs for Kids. You really don't realize how much hair you have until you are holding it in front of you! I am still getting used to the short hair, but it definitely feels nice and light on these hot days, and my neck is enjoying the breeze.

Today is not only Mother's Day, but also my birthday. Eric made me breakfast in bed and gave me a gift he made at school that is a jar filled with pieces of paper on which he wrote things he loves about me. It is the sweetest and I teared up. Joel made me a classic Joel card; it was actually glued together - brat! - and very witty. I can smell cake baking (Joel helped Grandma make it) and I'm looking forward to enjoying the sunshine, puttering and relaxing the rest of the day.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Year Anniversary

Two years ago today, Eric was admitted to hospital for the first time. We had an indication from his GP based on his blood work that he had ...