Thursday, February 1, 2024

Whip Lash

Joel's birthday is not off to a great start. Wednesday night, just before bed, Eric started complaining of a sore ear. I gave him some pain meds and put him to bed, but when he woke about 12:30am, he was burning up. Since he's immune compromised, fevers can be serious business, so I called the Oncologist on call, and, as I expected, he told me we had to come into the hospital. I threw a few things together, woke up Grandma to let her know we were leaving, and we arrived at the hospital before 2am. We were shown into a room immediately and saw the Doc quite quickly as well. No surprise that Eric has an ear infection. Unfortunately, between the poking and prodding and chest x-ray, Eric didn’t get too much sleep. I spent the night in a waiting room type chair beside his bed, so I didn’t get a single wink! They started IV antibiotics in the ER, and we were officially admitted upstairs about 6:20am for more poking and prodding. Eventually Eric got a little more sleep, and I called Joel to wish him happy birthday. His dad is out of town, so Grandma, Granny, Joel, Eric and I were planning on celebrating at White Spot tonight. Grandma and Granny are still planning to take Joel out and now he gets to bring a friend as well.

As I ran out of the house in the middle of the night taking the only remaining vehicle, I realized I was leaving Grandma stranded. Thank you, Kristy, for driving her to the hospital this morning to pick up my car! 

Eric is resting comfortably now. We both slept through Frozen 2 this afternoon, and then Eric watched it, and then he had another nap. He hasn’t had a fever since about 5am. Fingers crossed that continues since we aren’t allowed to go home until his blood cultures have been clear for 48 hours and he’s fever free for 48 hours. We’re hoping to get home Saturday before Joel’s birthday party with his friends. What was I thinking letting him invite SEVEN boys over?!?!

We were only home from the hospital for two days; I feel like I've got whiplash being back here again so soon. Pic of Eric resting comfortably. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Year Anniversary

Two years ago today, Eric was admitted to hospital for the first time. We had an indication from his GP based on his blood work that he had ...